free website stats program
New Zealand Message Board New Zealand Message Board :: Index
Index Search
light switch wiring ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    New Zealand Message Board Forum Index -> General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tramper
Totara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: light switch wiring ? Reply with quote

Hello, I decided to up date our plugs and light switches,i started with the light switches and after disconnecting the first one as murphys law would have it vistitors arrived and now i am at a lost as to where the wiring exactly goes Confused Question
maverick
Totara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: No worries Reply with quote

Your light switch should have a C (for common) and 1. Place the red wiring that is in your white TPS cable from the switchboard, the wiring that carries the power and wire it into the C terminal. The white TPS cable from the light, wire the Red wire contained within it into the number 1 terminal. The black wires in both TPS white cables is the neutral and they need to be twisted together and placed in the terminal opposite the three terminals labeled 1 C 2, this terminal acts the same way as a insulated cable connector and is to make sure the black wires stay together.
If your TPS cables have green wires these too must be twisted together to earth any metal parts of the insulation and placed in an insulated cable connector. Even if you do not have metal light fitting still connect them together in case one day your property changes hands and the new owner installs metal light fitting.

If you noticed the 2 on the switch that is only used for 2 way switching like in a stairway and hallway applications.

All though it is legal to do your own wiring these days except to connect to the switchboard please be careful and not only pull the fuse for the light circuit but turn the power off and make sure everyone around you is aware it is off for a reason. Even tape or tie off your main switch by some means. (If in doubt call a fellow sparkie, we are not that expensive Cool)
earthgirl
Totara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my Tramper. I'm wondering how you go on. Hot Idea I'm hoping you servived your DIY wiring.

Please let us know you survived it! Shocked Very Happy
Tramper
Totara

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: All good Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply
My hair does not look like yahoo serious from doing the wiring lol
Everything went without a hitch thanks to the MAV's step by step instructions
Thanks for caring earth
And much appreciation Maverick for saving me having to get a sparkie in Very Happy
Kelpie
Totara

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in the back of beyond for many years I fixed switches several times.
My young son who later became a sparkie would watch me.

He later told us he had an awful job when doing his first plugs --not to hide behind a big chair & turn it on with a broom-- the way Mum did.
earthgirl
Totara

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Kelpie and Tramper - the mental pics you paint. Thanks for the laughs.

It reminds me of the time hubby decided to turn the temp on our hotwater cylinder down and ended up getting sat on his backside and decidedly wild and woolley. Shocked
Tramper
Totara

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Anytime Reply with quote

Laughing Could visualise your hubby (not a dial one obviously) on his butt 2 Laughing lot of metal in a HWC for hubby's body to earth out on - the Human Conductor Arrow Idea
robert two
Totara

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: yeah Reply with quote

With new chums doing wiring they just break the circuit.
So often the light socket is still live. Off power point is still live too.
In OZ one can buy a device to test the power plugs.
But the clowns change the colour system as they have and it never needed a change really.

Yes the instructions by MAV were perfect as he knows his job.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    New Zealand Message Board Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1